Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Forgiveness (Random Personal Thought)

Forgiveness usually comes when someone has been wronged. Forgiving someone comes after they say sorry, right? Well not exactly. For me anyways, forgiveness should always be given despite what the person says. For example if someone wrongs you but doesn't say sorry or ask for forgiveness. You should still go back and forgive them. Personally if I am wronged, and the situation has cooled down I will go back and say I know what happened ,but I just want you to know I forgive you.

There is a good kind of forgiveness without sorry or asking, and there is a bad kind. Let me give you an example.

"I forgive you even though you won't say sorry to me"
-This is one of the many bad ways. Do not make yourself look superior. Because then you become the jerk and just fuel the already tense relationship with said person.

"I know what happened, and I just want to tell you I'm sorry for when I was mad. I want you to know I'm not mad anymore and I forgive you for what was done will you forgive me for my anger?"
-This in my opinion is a good way of forgiving someone without them saying sorry. It doesn't make you look better. You admit you were wrong too, and you still forgave them in a loving way.

Forgiveness can be hard to give. But Jesus commands us to, even if we don't want to.How can we ask God to forgive us when we won't forgive our brothers and sisters.Matthew 6:14-16 
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins

 We are to forgive again and again. Matthew 18:21-22 
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. 

This is saying that we need to forgive them again and again till this life on earth ends. We are to forgive them until it is settled in our hearts. We must remember that as God forgave us we must forgive them no matter what. Just as God forgave us by His Son's death on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment